Thursday, January 21, 2010

Empuje!

That means "Push!" in Spanish. No I'm not delivering a baby. That was the thought I had on my run this morning. When I was in Florida I loved pushing myself in my workouts. Making myself go further or faster. I would run my normal 5 miles then the last minute back to my apartment I'd make myself sprint. I decided I need to get back that desire to push myself. I know that I can do anything if I put my mind to it. So my run today I did an out and back, meaning out 1.5 miles and turn around and back 1.5. On the way back through the business park the head wind sucked!! It was horrible! I wanted to stop and walk so many times. I made myself run through the wind. Because my thinking was once I got out of the open business park back to the homes that there would be a wind barrier. So I said, "ok run to the end of the business park." I got to thinking while running though about "empuje" I decided that I would run through the neighborhood to the next stoplight. My theory by the way that the houses would kill the wind was way wrong! The houses just created a wind tunnel down the street. But I pushed myself. I ended up taking 2 minutes longer than I normally do on a 3 mile run, which by the way I need to really calibrate my ipod. Because its way off. I didn't meet my goals for this run, which were to finish in less than 2 minutes over and not walk. I did walk twice. But that just gives me the opportunity to push myself the next time. But it got my thinking what can I push myself to do better in other aspects? So here are some ideas I had for myself.
#1: Be a better member of the church: Push myself to get to the temple once a month. Hello! I have 4 temples within 30 minutes of my house! There is no excuse. I also can take my scripture reading and prayers more seriously. The biggest thing is to go to church for the gospel not to find friends.
#2: Push myself to be a better friend: I have been neglecting some friends lately and these friends have been with my for ages and they don't deserve to be pushed on the back burner. I will make it up to you all I promise!
#3: Push myself to be a better future attorney: I need to push myself in my bar studies. I do the minimum currently. When in reality I need to do the maximum. I need to fight for those people I want to help and the best way to do that right now is to take the bar seriously and pass.
#4: Push myself to be a better sister, aunt, and daughter: This means hang with my family more. Realize that out of everyone in my life they will always support me and will always be there for me. Some friends come and go but my family never will and I need to show them that I am there for them as well.
#5: Push myself to be a better member of society: What am I doing to contribute to the welfare of my fellow human being? Lars came up with a brilliant idea of traveling with purpose. Meaning when we take our vacations we would do a humanitarian project along with it. Not only can I help those abroad but I can help those here. I can get out and vote (for those that think that this means I am picking a political party, sorry no dice. I am still very NON partisan.) But getting out to vote gets my voice out there even if sometimes its very quiet. I can also volunteer for things. I used to love donating blood but I haven't done it for a while. That is one thing I can do that is quick. I better go eat some cream of wheat then. :)
Well that's word of the day, "empuje!"

2 comments:

  1. Hey you inspire me to run! I have been trying to be more active and I have been going to the gym 5 times a week, but let me tell you I can only RUN 1 mile. So you are an inspiration to me. It's always good to have goals and want to be better,I always write down things, and go over them in my head, because I too want to push myself further! Thanks Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BreeAnn! Thanks! I am not the greatest runner, I am slow and not very coordinated. But its just important to get out right? Haha...good job BreeAnn keep it up!

    ReplyDelete