Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Do you speak spanish?"

I started my job everyone! Wahoo! And things changed with it a little bit. I now get benefits and can work more than 19 hours. Which when I was offered the job was told I could not work more than 19 hours and no benefits. So that was a nice change. I also get paid for my millage I spend. So for those of you that don't know my job is the legal coordinator for a grant. I work for an agency that received a grant to help elderly refugee permanent residents get citizenship. Congress a couple years ago wanted to give an incentive for people to get their citizenship. So they passed a law that said that people over 60 had to get their citizenship within 7 years of receiving their permanent residency or they would lose their social security income. So we don't want that to happen. I have a co-worker who does the outreach and I do the legal work and teaching the civics portion of the exam. So far I enjoy it! :)
Ok on to the title of this post. I went with my co-worker Mohamud to a Sudanese community meeting. While Mohamud and I were waiting this lady was giving this presentation on abuse. She was saying it in Spanish and this other guy was translating. He was struggling a bit. I was following along with the lady and then in the middle she asks if I speak Spanish and wants me to go up and translate for her. So yeah I got to give a presentation on abuse. :) I also learned a lot from this Sudanese meeting. It was fun. Mohamud and I then went and crashed a Ghana Independence Day celebration. That was a good time. Well that's it kids. I'm out! Peace!

2 comments:

  1. Abuse you say? Not as exciting as the tinkle with twinklers training. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your job, McKenny! I am happy for you! Back to the good ol' translating are you? Wow, that must have been interesting. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete