Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Detainee Wednesday

Every wednesday I go to the immigration court out by the airport. Well I go to the court every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday but Wednesday is when the detainees are brought in. Utah is different from other states in how they detain those caught for deportation. Utah has them stay in state and local jails and the federal government pays them for the beds. Other states have privately owned jails that take care of the deportees. I prefer the Utah way because often times the private jails are not as regulated and watched as they should be and a lot of them are getting in trouble for treating the detainees horribly. I don't care what your views on immigration are but no person should be left to die in a cell and their family not informed for six weeks. So anyway, because they are considered in state custody they wear the jumpsuits and are in chains. I saw it for my first time last Wednesday and its really sad to see. I get criticized all the time for my views on immigration but I don't think I've ever flat out stated what those views are. So I'm going to here. I think that people should enter the country legally. The problem is that it is very hard and expensive to do so. Plus its a very, very complicated and complex process that I don't think many American's realize. I knew it was complex but the more I learn the more I realize that I had no idea how complex it really is. I think that if you have entered the country illegally AND committed a crime...I know people say entering is a crime...but I'm sorry in comparison to you jumping the boarder to work and feed your family and dealing drugs or killing someone jumping the boarder is not at the top of my list of horrible acts. Anyway, if you've come illegally and committed a crime then by all means you should be sent back or imprisoned here. There was this man today that I helped from El Salvador and he was caught because he got into a traffic accident, which was not his fault. He now has to go back because he did not meet any of the requirements to petition for permanent residency. I don't know I just felt bad for him. While I was sitting there is one detainee came out of the court room and he was crying, this was a big guy and burly, I heard him tell another guy in Spanish that he had to go back and that his whole family is here. I don't know I just think that we as American's need to have a little mercy. Like I said someone crossing the boarder to work and feed their family should not be compared to other crimes out there. Criticize all you want but that's what I think. I can honestly say that if I was in the situation a lot of people are in I would jump the boarder as well. The system is broken and it will continue to sty that way until something changes and I'm worried that will not happen until we have a major tragedy or more people speak up. I just want to do my part to help someone less fortunate than myself. That's what keeps me in school and that's what makes me have purpose in my life right now. People should come legally and that's what I plan on helping people do, but I'm not going to fault someone who didn't have the means to do it. I just hope that I will make a difference someday. We can always hope right?

2 comments:

  1. I won't dog on your beliefs. That would just be rude. I'll let Josh argue with you though. Within reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog! It was good to here from you and it looks like you are doing pretty well!! It will be fun to keep in contact a little bit more! Good luck in court!

    ReplyDelete