Friday, September 12, 2008

So close, yet...

Well I was so close to being a car owner...meaning I almost had my car paid off. I had it budgeted and everything to be paid off by February. Well...no dice. I'm having car troubles. So I got it looked at and they told me that my car could be fixed; First, by buying two new tires, with a Subaru and an AWD car you have to buy all four tires even if its only one that is shot. So on our way home from Florida I had some axle issues and my dad thought it was the tires so we bought two tires in Chattanooga. I told him we needed to get all four. He didn't believe me. So on to the second thing I'd have to buy, a new transmission. Yup...a new transmission. The repair shop told me the problem was because we didn't have the same tread on all four tires. They say that it keeps the car in AWD all the time which is harmful I guess. But my dad thinks its the driving across country twice hauling a Uhaul. Which I'd have to agree. So they told me that it would cost $3500-$4000. I only owe $3000 on my car. So I decided that it would be better to just get a new car. However, the cheapest half way decent car that will last me through law school and a few years after is $9000. But can I just say that I HATE car shopping. I always feel like I'm being taken for a ride. Here's a great example. I went to a car dealership that had a 2002 Honda Civic for $12,000. So they tell me that they would take my car and reduce the car to $10,950. So then they add all the "taxes, fees, travel expenses, and location fees," and suddenly the car is now $14,000! How the heck does it jump $4,000 in fees? So I left and I was mad! So the next place I went had a 2004 Jeep Liberty for $11,280. So they would take my car for $3500 making the price $8345 or something and with fees it would end up being $8910. Hello! That is not $4,000. Stupid dealership. I'm thinking about the Liberty but then there is a 2003 Ford Escape for $9988. That's without the trade in of my car. So I'm hoping I can pull Escape down. Because I'm a Consumer Report nerd and they said that both cars are decent but the Escape is a little better. So we'll see. Anyway, that was my great day. Stupid car shopping. I had just registered my car in Idaho and everything on Tuesday. Dang it. But that's how things always happen. One good thing though my issue with FAMU has been solved. FAMU was trying to tell me that they could keep 75% of my tuition which would be $11,000. I had only gone to class for 6 bloody days there is no way that they could keep that much money. So I threatened and kept bugging them and finally they sent me an email today that said I'd get a 100% refund on my tuition! Wahoo! I was really worried on how to get $11,000 more dollars. So that was a great thing to hear! Wahoo again! I'll be going back to car shopping again tomorrow after my class. Boo for class on a saturday. Oh well! Well I'm going to go play around and then go to bed so I can hit the farmers market before class. Ok I'm out.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily I don't know if you saw my other regular blog too, tbfankhauserfamily.blogspot.com I update that one a lot more than my other one " BreeAnn's Stuff" just wanted you to know that. Sorry about all of your car hassles, I hate that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't get screwed on your tuition. That sucks about the car though. Money is a pain in the butt altogether. We should go back to bartering.

    ReplyDelete